I used to love hiking. My husband and I went very regularly, a few times a week after work, and at least every Sunday, if not Saturday too. Then came our daughter, and we just kinda stopped. But today was too beautiful a day to not be outside and soak in every beautiful ray of sunshine, every leaf falling, every cool breeze blowing.
We (Brad,Trinity, Shnoogins, & I) took the short drive to DuPont State Forest and headed toward High Falls. Trinity had to see the bathroom (for some reason new restrooms are just amazing to her, maybe because using a big potty is new), then off we went. Trinity started running, which I love to watch. That carefree trot back and forth on the road, with her gorgeous hair bouncing, arms flailing, telling me "You can't catch me". The true amazement in her eyes when she saw the big waterfall. Of course she had to walk down the many,many stairs and over hundreds of tree roots to the bottom of the falls. Thankfully, her Daddy is strong enough to carry her 27 pounds down the long path, while I very carefully worked my way down, trying not to trip on my own feet. We got to take a bunch of pictures in front of High Falls, which was roaring with water from all the much needed rain a few days before.
After the falls, we hiked back up. We stopped for another potty break (T had to check out the port-a-john), then we enjoyed a snack. Trinity was off and running laps in the grassy area where we stopped. She discovered some crickets and a lady bug. I thought I would be funny and get her to touch the lady bug, which was unsuccessful. I tried to put it on her pants and my little girlie girl knocked that thing right out of my hand. Guess she doesn't care for bugs too much :). So on we went to the covered bridge.
We collected some rocks along the way,so she would have a good bunch to throw into the river. We ran into many,many smiling, happy faces. Everyone was so friendly, saying hello, talking to Trinity, petting Shnoogins. There is never a shortage of friendly people here. I love that about this area. People truly seem to care about each other.
After the bridge, we ran into a group of men on horses. Trinity was awe struck at the horses up close, and one of the very nice gentlemen let her pet his horse. She went to pet his nose,and he licked her hand a little. The sound of that giggle out of her mouth was priceless. I hated to take her away from that moment. If given permission, I think she would have hopped on that thing and tried to ride it! My girl is definitely an animal lover.
Back to the car we went. At this point, T was getting a little worn out. Brad being the wonderful Daddy he is, propped her up on his shoulders and took off into a gallop like the horse :) They chased Shnoogs and I down the road, Trinity and Brad trying to "catch" me. I took a moment to breathe it all in. I am so truly blessed in this life. I have a husband that loves me like no other could, and a daughter that never ceases to amaze me with her curiousity and free spirit.
Can't wait to see what tomorrow holds for us.......
Sounds like an absolutely perfect day! It's those moments, the ones that cost nothing, but hold so much, that always seem to be my favorites. You deserve everyday to be that happy! Love you sissy!!
ReplyDelete